Saturday, August 22, 2009

In the Beginning

A friend of mine sat with me a couple months back for an impromtu bible study. Before we opened to the Book of John, he said to me, "First, let's reflect on the first 5 words of the Bible."

I turned to Genesis 1:1 of the NIV and read, "In the beginning, God created..." We paused for a few seconds to reflect on those five words, then read John 2:1-11, the story of how Jesus turned water into wine. The impact on me was fantastic. This was no longer a neat story about turning water into wine. It made sense to me that in the beginning God created a way for us to have a close relationship with Him.

I began applying this reflection to all the times I read scripture. "In the beginning, God created..." Whenever I read the Bible in that frame of mind, I see His will a little more clearly than before.

I recommend you try it, too. I know the King James Version starts the same way, and other translations may vary slightly, but begin your reading of scripture with a reflection that in the beginning God created whatever it is you are about to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are valuable to me and the discussion of this blog.

Use the "Name/URL" (no need to leave a URL) or "Anonymous" options for commenting.