Saturday, October 15, 2011

Not Courageous But Real Steel

Jacob asked me to take him to see the movie "Real Steel" this weekend. He was so excited, so despite the fact that I really wanted to take him to see "Courageous" I made a plan to see "Real Steel" instead. I was thoroughly surprised by the movie and by the reminders it served for me in regards to my relationship with my son.

It made me appreciate the unique relationship that a father has with a son.

A son desires to look up to his father, to be proud of him, and to one day be just like him. I couldn't help but look at Jacob throughout the movie and hope that he looks up to me in that same way. In many ways, a son also just wants to see their fathers fight for them, to be their hero when the time comes.

This isn't far-fetched, and it doesn't take much to pull this off. Today, it was simply taking Jacob to a movie and telling him that I loved him. On other days, it's playing video games together. Always, it's letting him see me do what he has always been taught is right. I expected to get a deep father-son teaching moment out of "Courageous", but was equally glad to find one in "Real Steel".

On another note, while I told Jacob that I would never trade him for any amount of money, I couldn't help but think that God once traded His only Son for the entire world to be able to have eternal life with Him.