Saturday, July 27, 2013

My 89 calorie bacon and cheese egg white omelet

A typical ham and cheese, 2-egg omelet for me would run over 285 calories depending on how much cheese I put into it.

This morning, I took a crack at making a 2-egg white omelet to see if I could get one of my favorite breakfast foods under 100 calories and still enjoy it. Nailed it!

Ingredients:

  • 2 egg whites (fed the yolks to my dog) at 17 calories each instead of 70 calories each with the yolk
  • 1 Tbsp of bacon bits (the kind you put on salads) at 25 calories/each
  • 1 Tbsp of shredded cheddar cheese at 27 calories/each


This was cooked on a non-stop pan at medium heat so there was no added calories from oil, and it actually didn't stick, too!

Here's where I negate all that wonderful calorie saving I accomplished. I served this omelet up with a small stack of pancakes, syrup, butter, 1 strip of bacon, and 8 oz. of orange juice. Total calories for this breakfast was 564 calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are valuable to me and the discussion of this blog.

Use the "Name/URL" (no need to leave a URL) or "Anonymous" options for commenting.