Monday, April 14, 2014

You May Not Be Thinking Big Enough...This May Be Why

I had lunch with a friend recently. We discussed what we do for a living, some of the goals we have in front of us, and the challenges we face in getting to the next level of our goals.

I sat and listened in awe as he described some of the following from his work as an operations director for an oil industry company:

  • $8 million in receivables this month, but an additional $2 million in sales that are not yet billed
  • It’s the unbilled sales that gives him the biggest challenge as he balances between a good ole boy way of doing business and the need to guarantee payment
  • A staff of 20 people with a need to make some adjustments
  • Relocating to a larger facility that required a $50,000 down payment, and having to move quickly to be able to handle more sales and manufacturing. He can ONLY write a check up to $10,000 without having to get approval from the corporate office.

This image depicts a unit of currency issued by the United States of America. If this is an image of paper currency or a coin not listedhere, it is solely a work of the United States government, is ineligible for copyright, and is therefore in the public domain. Fraudulent use of this image may be punishment under counterfeiting laws.

As I chomped down on my 1/3 pound Angus cheeseburger, it was becoming apparently clear that my vision for my own life wasn't big enough for me to achieve my dreams. My perspective was small. This guy thinks with a lot more zeroes at the end of everything. All things being equal between us, this was a glaring difference.

It was that last fact that amazed me. If he needs something for the company, and it costs less than $10,000, he can simply cut a check for the company. As a budding author, blogger, and speaker, I bootstrap everything. That is out of necessity and where I am, but it is possible that I have bootstrapped for so long that I have allowed it to shrink my overall vision.

Even my blog is bootstrapped. Do I upgrade to a self-hosted blog (which is ideal) or do I wait until I have a certain number of unique visitors per month? It's just $60 a year to host it with BlueHost for example! The difference between a Blogger blog and a professional looking, more reliable blog is $60/year or $5/month! Really?!

I am not saying that my barrier to success is not spending $10,000 on my blog. These are completely different arenas, apples and oranges. This is the point I am making. His level of success in his career is the result of his ability to see bigger and beyond where he is currently.

He works with numbers that have many more zeroes attached to the end of them. The unit numbers he deals with daily have more zeros on them. Everything he does has more zeroes on the end of them, and it is because of how he sees the world. He simply thinks bigger.

Think Abundantly
I am saying that my scope and view needs to get larger. My dreams are waiting for me in that larger perspective. How can I grasp having abundance if I am not thinking and giving abundantly of myself? That is the example I learned from my friend. His perspective of finances, for example, was larger. His organizational perspective was larger. He thinks beyond himself on a professional level every day.

Bil Cornelius, author of Today is the Day (Buy it on Amazon), says that "whatever your dream is add a zero to it."

What would your dream look like if you added a zero to the end of it? Comment below.

Download this freebie, and receive regular updates about my projects and blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are valuable to me and the discussion of this blog.

Use the "Name/URL" (no need to leave a URL) or "Anonymous" options for commenting.