Saturday, September 14, 2013

How I Burn 404 Calories Watching TV

“Not having enough time to exercise” is a reason an excuse that I intentionally removed from my vocabulary in 2013. That is because not having enough time was the excuse I have used over and over again in the past ten years since leaving the Army to not work out, especially when I really had the time.


Where can you find time to exercise?
Americans watched an average of 4 hours of television each day according to a A.C. Nielson Company study. While I wasn’t ready to turn off the boob tube, I decided to at least capitalize on that time.


Who ever said we have to watch television sitting down?
I picked up this idea while watching a show called “Extreme Makeover: Weightloss Edition” and fitness trainer Chris Powell gave viewers the Couch Potato Challenge. We were asked to do 15 squats, 15 push ups, and 15 sit ups or crunches at every commercial break. That is definitely a good start.


Here is what I do now that burns about 404 calories for me. Keep in mind this will vary depending on intensity, your own body weight, and rest periods, but the amount of calories burned is about the same I think.


Feel free to add science to back or debunk my statement.


The workout, 4 sets each
My journal entry from VirtuaGym, Sept. 14, 2013

  • 15 squats (16.25 calories per set, or 1.08 calorie per repetition)
  • 15 push ups (16.25 calories per set)
  • 20 crunches (19.75 calories per set, or 0.9875 calorie per repetition)
  • 15 leg raises/reverse crunches (16.25 calories per set)
  • 15 oblique crunch right (16.25 calories per set)
  • 15 oblique crunch left (16.25 calories per set)


The information on calories burned is based on my current stats, where I now weigh 180 pounds at 5’4”. The estimated calories burned came from VirtuaGym, an app I use as an exercise journal.


I do as many complete sets as I can during the commercial breaks of whatever TV show I am watching. My family has DVR, and we fast forward through commercials. This means that I use the commercial breaks as a cue to do one set of each exercise non-stop. The last four exercises are crunch variations. I can do these WHILE I am watching the show, and I don’t miss anything important either.


Need more intensity? Just add more reps to each set, add more sets, or both. You can even add an exercise like burpees.


I try to focus on exercises that will use major muscle groups and burn a good amount of calories in the process. The point is here that we do not have to be glued to the couch or chair while we enjoy our shows, and it’s actually good for us to get some exercising in. The same can be applied to office work. Do some of these exercises every 30-60 minutes, one set, then get back to work before anyone sees you. I dare you! (I’ve done it on occasion.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are valuable to me and the discussion of this blog.

Use the "Name/URL" (no need to leave a URL) or "Anonymous" options for commenting.