Sunday, October 6, 2013

Pressing On Toward the Goal

This morning, I had the opportunity to hike in the Corpus Christi Bridge Walk, a 3.4-mile (5k-ish) walk or run over the Harbor Bridge. I have now participated in this walk three times carrying a 30-pound rucksack on my back each time.

We were asked to dress up as superheroes this month as part of a costume contest, so I dressed up in my Battle Dress Uniform (BDU) from the U.S. Army restoring patches from my service with the 3rd Infantry Division. My costume, a soldier from 1/10 Field Artillery.

To my surprise, I was inspiring people in the walk and that was not my intent. I merely wanted to make this walk special for myself and my friends who served with me in Operation Iraqi Freedom. I won the costume contest hands down, but it was having people tell me we should have a military appreciation theme one month on this walk where each participant carries a weighted rucksack to appreciate what our men and women in uniform do for us every day.

The irony is that I was feeling ashamed because I was only doing a 3.4-mile walk and not a 12-mile road march at 4mph. My ruck only weighed 30 pounds and not closer to 65-85 pounds as many of my infantry buddies were known to carry. Yes, I know that sometimes those loads were heavier. I was in a mechanized unit, so road marches for me often included riding in a Humvee or some sort of tracked vehicle. Very different experience.

The Bottom Line: People need to see you striving consistently towards your goals to inspire them to seek improvement in their own lives.

I say keep pressing on towards that challenge you've been called on your heart to achieve. Let people see you take those same, consistent baby steps each and every day. One day you'll arrive at that moment, and those who witnessed your journey will have tagged along because of the leadership you exhibited by stepping out in faith. Their lives will also be changed simply by seeing you slowly and steadily win your own personal race.

COMMENT BELOW: What goal do you feel God has placed on your heart to accomplish so that people's lives are changed forever?

"I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 3:14 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are valuable to me and the discussion of this blog.

Use the "Name/URL" (no need to leave a URL) or "Anonymous" options for commenting.