Sunday, November 3, 2013

"Dad, I Want to Run a 5K with You" Okay. Wait! What?

My son, who is 12 years old, approached me a couple of weeks ago and announced to me that he would like to "run in one of those races where they throw powder on you that sticks to your sweat and turns into a color." 


SON: Yes! Will you run that with me?

ME: Okay...Wait! What?

That was it. For the sake of being an awesome dad, I had committed to something without really taking the time to come up with an excuse.

Color Me Rad is happening in Corpus Christi on February 22. That gives me about four months to un-hate running and train for this event. I already have a plan!

Someone sent me a 9-week Couch-to-5K Running Plan available from ActiveTrainer.com. For less than 30 minutes per workout, three times a week, I should be ready to go!

What Will I Do After the 9-Week Program?
That is a valid question, Jerry. Thanks for asking. Yes, I just did that. My hope is that I will un-hate running enough to continue what I've started. The best way to be ready for a 3.4-mile run (5K) is probably to be able to run 5 miles! What the heck am I saying?!

What's the Program?
I wish I could go into specifics, but I don't want to be sued by the guy who came up with the plan. Leave a comment below and let me know if you'd be interested in a comment each week about what I was able to accomplish.

I will say that this week I plan to do the following workout:
  • Monday, Wednesday, Friday - Brisk 5-minute walk then alternating 60 seconds of jogging with 90 seconds of walking.
  • Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday - Couch Potato Routine that includes 4 sets of 15 repetitions of the following: squats, push ups, crunches, leg raises. 30-second plank at the end of each set.
  • Sunday - Rest, type a blog post, and probably spend some time looking at my abs in the mirror. Too much information?
-------------------
If you found this post to be helpful or inspirational and you’d like to see more like this, then treat me to a cup of coffee, a taco, or leave a tip as a way to show your support. I thank you in advance! Click the “Donate” button below.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are valuable to me and the discussion of this blog.

Use the "Name/URL" (no need to leave a URL) or "Anonymous" options for commenting.