Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Lessons Learned from the Founder of Chick-fil-A

I just finished reading the book It's Better to Build Boys then Mend Men by S. Truett Cathy, the founder of Chick-fil-A.  In this book, Cathy shares his experiences as a parent, grandparent, foster parent, mentor, and friend where he has helped shape the lives of young boys into men who were solid in character and contributed back to society. He also shares tragic stories of those boys who did not receive the love and attention they needed from their fathers and were doomed to repeat a cycle of needless pain and troubled living.

Our children need parents who set a consistent, positive model of behavior to follow. We often choose to be a friend more than a trusted adult to our children. I catch myself doing that from time to time. It is also important to have a consistent set of expectations as well. What we consistently or do is what we think, believe, do, and eventually become.

Children do not see the truth in the words we say but the actions we make. I can talk about the importance of loyalty and trust, but I need to show it in how I treat other people. The moment I have an affair, for example, everything I have ever said about loyalty and trust is replaced by a new truth, "daddy is a liar and I can be one, too."

It is vital for my children that I set the most consistent, positive example that I can. I won't do this perfectly, and will continue fail from time to time. However, I hope that with a positive and consistent model of behavior and expectations my children will grow up equipped with strong character to get them through what life has in store for them.

"I thought God gave me your grandmother to love me, but over the years God has shown me He gave her to me to learn to love even if she ceased loving me." -S. Truett Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are valuable to me and the discussion of this blog.

Use the "Name/URL" (no need to leave a URL) or "Anonymous" options for commenting.