Wednesday, January 1, 2014

A Bridge Too Far...Well, Not Really

I took an opportunity to kick off the New Year by participating in a special New Year's Corpus Christi BridgeWalk this morning. So, rather than sleeping in, I woke up at 9am, got dressed and drove over to downtown. Unlike the previous five BridgeWalks I completed wearing a rucksack, I decided to leave the rucksack at home and run the bridge this year.

The route is 3.4 miles. I ran the first leg going up the bridge at an Airborne Shuffle pace (a little faster than a walk but too slow to call it a jog), and nearly sprinting on the downhill slope of the bridge. I walked the uphill of the 2nd leg, and ran the downhill, then cooled off with a walk for the return trip to Heritage Park from the base of the bridge. I completed the route in about 45 minutes.

Why? I do not like to run. My disdain for running is more out of fear. Fear of pain. Fear of throwing up in front of people. So, this is a fear I'd like to conquer in 2014. Plus, running will build up the cardio that I need to reach my next level of fitness goals. It's just where I am.

There are other goals I have for 2014 that are not related to fitness. All of them require overcoming a fear of some kind, and none of them require jumping off cliffs or perfectly good airplanes. All of my goals are also things I want to do, or things I need to do to have my life where I want it five years from now.

I would like to encourage you to write down your goals for the next year if you haven't already, and make the commitment to take a step towards each of those goals every week. Build the habits that will change your life into what you want it to be. It's your life, and I think that unlike my favorite World War II movie, you can never go a bridge too far.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are valuable to me and the discussion of this blog.

Use the "Name/URL" (no need to leave a URL) or "Anonymous" options for commenting.